Thursday, September 11, 2008

Dueling Reviews

She and Him - Vol. 1
by Andrew

I'm really concerned. Is this the first step into "easy listening"? Surely, my ear was instantly drawn to my future wife's effort with Matt Ward, but I have a few reservations after running over this album a few dozen times (don't accuse me of obsession - its less than 40 minutes, ok?!). The production swings for the fences a bit much at times; I'm sure there's a lot of respect for the master, but here's hoping M. Ward doesn't go too much more "Phil Spector" on us or his girlfriend. I guess the more important point about the production is that Ms. D's voice is so lovely, so front and center (and I can't wait until she sings me to sleep every night, don't get me wrong) that the "Him" gets lost in the crowd. If you haven't heard Ward's 2006 effort, "Post War," chances are he's on a recording that you already love. Between his arrangements, production, and session guitar work with slouches like Jim James, Neko Case, Jenny Lewis, Connor Oberst, etc., Ward is quickly becoming our generation's JJ Cale. I guess the last beef is "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot." Here's to them leaving "Amazing Grace" off of Volume 2 (already in the works).

But such reservations are fodder. It's got everything a big retro album should have. Go listen-- just try to pay attention to Him, if you could? Trust me, I know it's tough.

Starter Tracks: "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here", "Change Is Hard", "Take It Back", "Really Got A Hold Of Me"

Best Played With: warm evening breeze, rolled down windows, country road, restraining order from Zooey Deschanel


She and Him - Vol. 1

by Sean

She and Him is a twosome comprised of some guy and an almost famous actress whom I've never heard of. They write decidedly old-timey songs, with sounds ranging from Patsy Cline-ish twang, Billie Holiday sultryness, and female Motown do-wop, all with an updated sound, of course. Zoey Deschanel's crystal clear voice cuts through the music and takes its rightful place at the forefront. Due in part to the simple yet pleasant arrangements, but also because of her strong and full-timbered voice.

The album opener, “Sentimental Heart,” is clearly the standout (for me), with it's steady piano and dancing strings, before the rest of the instruments and backup vocals kick in. The simplistic imagery of her sentimental heart is forlorn but in a teenager-crush kind of way so you don’t feel bad for her because you, in your infinite adult wisdom, recognize that it will simply pass.

Another highlight, “I Was Made For You,” with all of it’s “ooh dum-dee-dum’s” in the background, conjures pink bubble gum and beehives. “Take It Back” is a mellow number that you could imagine your grandparents slow dancing to. The album begins to meander into mediocrity on the back half with a cover of “You Really Got A Hold On Me,” which doesn’t really hold a candle to Thao’s cover of the same song earlier this year. And their Don Ho-esque cover of the Beatles “I Should Have Known Better” lacks the upbeat tempo and signature harmonica riff that makes the original what it is. Fortunately, there are plenty of bright spots on this album and I look forward to Vol. 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Welcome me to the world of blogging, but more importantly welcome to you for visiting my music blog. Hopefully, you'll be back.