Monday, November 3, 2008

MGMT in NYC

Hi there, WRRheads. I know it's been a while, but I promise we will get things back up to speed. For now, here's a concert reviewish from a recent MGMT in Brooklyn on Halloween night. Big thanks to Jess who got us tickets to the biggest in the Big Apple that night.

The show took place at the Williamsburg Theatre in Brooklyn, the mecca of hipsterdom. The pretension was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. My least favorite of these coolest of cool kids was glow stick man who wouldn't stop pogoing right in front of me. But onto the show...

We caught the tail end of the final opener, Amazing Baby. I liked what I heard, especiall the closer Pump Your Brakes, which is available as part of a free ep download. The exact details of the show are a little hazy, thanks to the RBV's, but I'm fairly certain that MGMT opened with Weekend Wars. The show didn't deviate too much from the last time I saw them. The big difference was the encores. Last time they came out to play the 13 minute freaky/prog jam Metanoia (free d/l) which transitioned into Kids. This time they played both of those songs earlier and played some seemingly very old electro songs for the closer, which I was not feeling. For me, the highlight was The Youth, with its chorus of:

The youth is starting to change
Are you starting to change
Are you together, together, together, together....

As change was in the air, I felt it to be a very poignant moment. Overall, it was a solid show and the crowd was fully into it. We had to leave a bit early, as to not end up trapped in Brooklyn, but I've heard rumors that at the very end they jammed out to the Ghostbusters song. I, for one, was really hoping they would play Thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Welcome me to the world of blogging, but more importantly welcome to you for visiting my music blog. Hopefully, you'll be back.