Monday, August 31, 2009

Phoenix

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

If you read this blog or watch SNL, chances are you've already heard (of) Phoenix and the hype surrounding them. I'll be frank: I enjoy the album, but do not particularly think it is all that and a bag of chips. Also, I don't see the comparisons to the Strokes (whom I've been enjoying a lot of lately), other than the fact that both bands seem to ascribe to a straight-line -to-the-finish school of songwriting rather than a tangential way. But these Frenchies do craft themselves some catchy pop/rock songs with hooks big enough to land them some solid radio play.

Album opener 'Lizstomania' lays the foundation for the rest of the album with loud-quiet-loud dynamics, a peppy beat, simple but pleasing melodies and talk-y lyrics with a dash of synth thrown in. 'Love Like A Sunset' takes a seven minute electronic journey, with vocals eventually kicking in at about the 6:13.5 minute mark. 'Fences' is has a little bit of disco funk that definitely lets you know what time it is and "1901" is another album highlight.

My main beef with Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, other than a pretentious title, is that the songwriting becomes a little rote. By the time the fifth track "Lasso" came on, I thought to myself, "Didn't I already hear this song?" But I suppose I can credit it to being a cohesive sound, which they certainly have, rather than lazy songwriting. One thing is certain, though: This album will be on plenty of Lizsts at the end of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Welcome me to the world of blogging, but more importantly welcome to you for visiting my music blog. Hopefully, you'll be back.