Monday, July 21, 2008

Back Fresh From Florida...

...and I must confess, I didn't really have time to do much listening (beach and ipod just don't mix for me) and when I did listen, it was some of my old summer time favorites like 311, Sublime, Less Than Jake. Sadly, I missed 311 again this year. Oh well.

P.S. Go see Batman... at the IMAX.


Lykke Li - Youth Novel

Wow, do I love this album. Hailing from Sweden, land of safe cars, assemble-able furniture, clever vodka ads, and H&M (who knew?) this perfect little jolt of near pop-bliss is so unassuming, charming and catchy that I can't imagine anyone not liking it. Bjorn Yittling of Peter, Bjorn & John produces, and one can't help but wonder how much of the creative inertia came from him rather than Ms. Li. Either way, they struck gold.

The production is an even mix between organic and electronic, with the focus on bass, drums and background melodies. Lykke Li's voice is almost childlike at times, and on 'Dance Dance Dance', the
first song (not counting the slightly weird spoken intro, 'Melodies & Desires', analogizing love to music), it seems questionable if it's capable of carrying an entire album. But as the song builds to a crescendo and a bouncing horn and chorus join in, the intensity picks up and we learn that she knows exactly what to do: Let the song take over. Lykke Li doesn't engage in any vocal acrobatics, but she knows how to incorporate her voice into the music at all times, when to fall back or step up, be serious or playful.

It's hard to say what my favorite song on here is but I love the (almost only) line in Complaint Department: "If you want to complain, I'm not the complaint department." Check her out October 19 at the Black Cat.

Selected Song: Let It Fall

Black Keys - Attack & Release

I must say, I'm quite disappointed in the Black Keys latest release. This is the first album I've reviewed negatively. I was really looking forward to it but, unfortunatley, it lacks the energy, rawness and bluesyness of their previous releases. That's not to say its a terrible album... it's just lackluster.

For those who have never heard of them, the Black Keys are a two-piece band, who make pretty straight forward garage blues/rock. Their last album, Rubber Factory, was recorded.... wait for it... in an abandoned rubber factory. That description, along with their name, may spring the White Stripes to mind, but they're fairly different, lacking the eclectic/weirdness of Jack White.

Seeking a new creative direction (I'm assuming), they enlisted super producer Danger Mouse to helm the boards for Attack & Release. A few of the songs like 'Remember When (Side B)' and 'Same Old Thing' come close to their previous output, but most of it seems too thought through and that's not what the Black Keys do. They do heavily fuzzed power chords and badass riffs through the minor blues scale with a nonchalance that shows how naturally that style comes to them. I can understand wanting to evolve, but at the same time, if it ain't broke, don't bring in a trendy producer to meddle with your style.

Selected Song: Same Old Thing



Stephen Malkmus - Real Emotional Trash

In 1991, Pavement, a band headed by Stephen Malkmus, released Slanted and Enchanted, one of the the most important indie rock releases of all times.... or so I'm told. I never bothered to find out, as I generally prefer to live in the musical now. While there's certainly a good arguement for going back and visiting the precursor to what currently interests me, I (1) expect the the present has improved upon whatever ideas the forebearers had, and (2) don't have enough time to listen to everything.

But Malkmus's new release just might be the impetus for me to go back and see what all the fuss is about. At it's heart, Real Emotional Trash is a kick ass guitar record, but with enough charming quirks and clever lyrics to make it refreshing and original. Favorite lyric: "Who was it that said the world is my oyster? I feel like a nympho stuck in a cloister."

Selected Song: Cold Son


1 comment:

  1. As far as Pavement goes: I also love Wowwe Zowee, my first intro to the band

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!

Welcome me to the world of blogging, but more importantly welcome to you for visiting my music blog. Hopefully, you'll be back.